History Happens Here: Chandler Heights Community Church

Church holds historical distinction of serving as QC’s first house of worship   History oftentimes is forgotten as time passes. This series features old photographs taken in and around Queen Creek, held up in the exact place that they were originally taken in the style of Dear Photograph. This month’s photo comes from the San […]

History Happens Here in QC: Cotton crops then, peach trees now

History, oftentimes is forgotten as time passes. This weekly series will feature old photographs from taken in and around Queen Creek, held up in the exact place that they were originally taken, in the style of Dear Photograph. This photograph is from Mark Schnepf of Schnepf Farms. This was taken in the early 1970’s, probably […]

Look Back, Jan. 25, 2012

  5 years ago Five years ago this week the top news stories for the Jan. 25, 2012, Queen Creek Independent, included: The San Tan Valley Historical Society has recently changed its leadership; and the Queen Creek High School Boys Basketball team is going into 2012 undefeated.

Look back on QC/STV history: Oct. 26 2011

  5 years ago Five years ago this week the top news stories for the Oct. 26, 2011, Queen Creek Independent, included: The Ninth Annual American Heritage Festival at Schnepf Farms is Nov. 19-20 and San Tan Mountain Regional Park in Queen Creek has more than 1,000 acres of genuine Sonoran Desert.

Look Back, Dec. 15, 2010

5 years ago

Six years ago this week the top news stories for the Dec. 15, 2010, Queen Creek Independent, included: Bulldogs Football Coach Joe Germaine was name “Coach of the Year” for the 2010 4A-I Desert Sky Region.

Look Back, Dec. 8, 2010

5 years ago

Five years ago this week the top news stories for the Dec. 8, 2010, Queen Creek Independent, included: A year from now there could be up to 124 medical marijuana dispensaries operating throughout the state of Arizona. The East Valley will be no exception, officials say.

On the heels of a narrow victory, Proposition 203 was signed into law Nov. 29, which will, among other things, grant critically ill residents access to medicinal marijuana.

East Valley cities and towns are grappling with how to regulate the statewide initiative — done primarily through specific zoning requirements defining use, scope and placement of the facilities.

Look Back, Dec. 1, 2010

6 years ago

Six years ago this week the top news stories for the Dec. 1, 2010, Queen Creek Independent, included: The Olweus Bullying Prevention Program — primarily used as a research tool through Clemson University — is the benchmark for addressing issues created by bullying, East Valley educators say.

Look Back Nov. 24, 2010

6 years ago

Six years ago this week the top news stories for the Nov. 24, 2010, Queen Creek Independent, included: Queen Creek High School beat Glendale’s Raymond S. Kellis High School 41-7 Nov. 12 in the first round of the 4A-Division 1 state football playoffs.

Look Back Nov. 17, 2010

File photo
6 years ago
Six years ago this week the top news stories for the Nov. 17, 2010, Queen Creek Independent, included: The Queen Creek Pop Warner Hornets placed first in the state championship for cheerleading and are set for a run at regionals Nov. 20 at Cardinal Stadium.

Queen Creek’s first church built in 1921

The first church in Rittenhouse — the community now known as Queen Creek — was constructed in 1921 on the east side of Ellsworth Road, just north of the railroad tracks.

Although the San Tan Historical Society’s records don’t list her name, a Pennsylvania woman known throughout the United States for donating funding for churches provided financing for the building. Jasper Sossaman, Lee Sossaman and others provided the labor.

It was sponsored by the Presbyterian Home Missions and was first served by a retired Presbyterian minister from Phoenix. The school district also made good use of the building by partnering with the church to hold classes there for a few years.

By the mid-1930s, there were only a few families who continued to worship at this location. So, with the help and advice from the Rev. John Hartman, the congregation acquired a new location in Chandler Heights and relocated the building in 1936.

With the picturesque San Tan Mountains as its backdrop and a few improvements over the years, this church continues to serve the community at the northwest corner of Mandarin Drive and Hunt Highway.